How does WinTV-DCR-2650 work?
WinTV-DCR-2650 is just like a cable TV set top box (a "DVR" box) in that it can be used to watch and record TV from digital cable. There are a couple of differences:
- WinTV-DCR-2650 needs a PC to work. Currently, only a PC with Windows Media Center (Windows 7 or 8) is compatible with the WinTV-DCR-2650.
- WinTV-DCR-2650 does not have any internal disk storage: it uses your PC for storing recorded TV programs. The nice thing about using your PC for storage is that if you fill up your hard drive with TV programs, you can easily add a new hard drive to your PC.
- WinTV-DCR-2650 records in the original transmitted quality. For example, if you record from an HD channel, the recording will be HD.
- There is no monthly fee for the WinTV-DCR-2650. Once you buy it, it's yours to use forever. But you still need to sign up for cable TV service, and you will still need to rent a digital cable card from your local cable operator.
WinTV-DCR-2650 allows you to watch and record all of your digital cable TV channels, including premium channels such as HBO and Showtime
All of your cable TV channels, including premium cable channels such as HBO and Showtime, can be watched and recorded with the WinTV-HVR-2650 and Windows Media Center. But keep in mind you still need to have a subscription to these premium channels in order to watch and record them.
Pay per view and video on demand will not be available through the WinTV-DCR-2650 since it requires a two way communication to your cable operator.
WinTV-DCR-2650 is easy to install via a USB connector
- Works with most Windows 7 systems with USB ports, both desktop and notebook PCs.
- Plugs into your cable TV directly. No set top box required!
- Use a standard Windows Media Center remote control (not supplied)
How to tell if your Windows PC is compatible with the
Microsoft has created a test program to tell if your PC has the correct resources to run the CableCARD receiver.
WinTV-DCR-2650 - a dual tuner CableCARD ™ receiver for your Windows Media Center PC!
Watch and record basic and premium cable TV on your PC. Records in the original HD quality.
Dual cable TV tuners: watch one channel while recording another, or record two channels at the same time!
Simply to install via USB
Works with Windows Media Center (Windows 7 and 8)
What is the WinTV-DCR-2650?
WinTV-DCR-2650 is a cable TV set top box which you can purchase. The only on going fees are your monthly cable service fees plus the cost of the CableCARD (which costs around $5 per month).
WinTV-DCR-2650 has two tuners, so with Windows 7 Media Center you can record two TV programs at the same time, or you can watch one TV program while recording another.
Are there other TV applications which can use WinTV-DCR-2650?
There are a few applications besides Windows Media Center which will work with the WinTV-DCR-2650. These programs will allow you to watch and record cable TV programs which are marked as "copy freely" by your local cable operator. Most of these programs are your network TV channels including CBS, NBC and Fox. Click on the Third Party apps button above to see an up to date list of these programs.
Windows 7 or 8
A PC which meets the Microsoft requirements for a digital CableCARD receiver. The test to make sure your PC can run the digital CableCARD can be found by here. Click the Digital Cable Advisor tab for instructions on running the Digital Cable Advisor.
You can use VGA, HDMI and DVI plus Component, S-Video, composite video connections to your monitor.
In addition, for recorded content marked "copy freely", the DisplayPort will display your recordings. But for some recorded content (those recordings marked "copy never" or "copy once", you will get a message "Display driver error – the video playback device does not support playback of protected content." if you use a DisplayPort. As Microsoft says "At this time, Windows 7 Media Center does not recognize a DisplayPort as being HDCP compliant; it only recognizes DVI and HDMI as HDCP compliant. Some protected content scenarios may work with DisplayPort with Media Center, but these are not officially validated".
Do you have any questions?
Ask a Videoguys adviser about this product. More
Free Tech Support
Shop with confidence with us here to help. More
30-day money-back or exchange on all purchases. More