Edit massive 4K files with ease
Accelerate your HD, Ultra HD, 2K, and 4K workflow. With the Avid Artist | DNxIQ® video interface, you can take intelligent command of your media workflows in the most efficient and flexible ways. Capture, monitor, and output media quickly—in the highest quality possible. And accelerate editing with Avid DNxHR encoding and audio punch-ins to Media Composer. Whether you choose the standalone interface to use with your favorite Avid and third-party creative tools or bundle it with Media Composer, Avid Artist | DNxIQ simplifies your workflow, so you can complete projects faster.
Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe 3 support give you more speed, more pixels, and more playout options. You also get the flexibility to address ever-changing content demands—efficiently and easily—and deliver to a broader array of channels and devices.
You also get built-in encoding to Avid DNxHR so that you can edit massive 4K files with ease. And real-time format and frame-rate conversion on output and playback, thanks to accelerated Universal Mastering.
Universal Mastering offers no-fuss, real-time format and frame-rate conversion on output and playback, making it the perfect complement to the Media Composer | Symphony Option
Get Universal Mastering
To speed and ease playback and tape workflows, Avid Artist | DNxIQ offers real-time Universal Mastering, offering quick format cross-conversion on all baseband output SDI, HDMI, and analog connections.
Connect your entire studio
Easily connect cameras, video decks, audio interfaces, routers, switchers, mics, monitor displays, speakers, and other devices in your workflow. Avid Artist | DNxIQ offers a variety of high-quality analog and digital connections, including 12G SDI, optical, HDMI, XLR, component, composite, and more. Plus, only Avid Artist | DNxIQ enables you to perform audio punch-ins to Media Composer using the front-panel mic input.
Monitor and encode video
Conveniently monitor video ingest and output using the HD LCD display. And speed up editing with onboard hardware processing, which provides real-time or accelerated Avid DNxHR encoding, color conversion, and up/down/cross conversion.
Get Thunderbolt and PCIe speed
Get the bandwidth you need to handle the highest resolution video formats, whether you use a Mac or PC. Avid Artist | DNxIQ features both high-speed Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe 3.0-ready*(adapter sold separately) connectivity. Experience exceptional performance, highly accurate time sync, and ultra-low latency—even with the most demanding 4K RGB workflows.
* PCIe 3.0 speeds will be enabled in a future Avid Artist |
(included with software bundled options only)
Media Composer features
- Edit 4K and other high-res media natively
- Work in any media resolution with Avid Resolution Independence
- Experience real-time high-res and HD editing with Avid DNxHR and DNxHD
- Accelerate your storytelling with ACE-certified editing tools, open workflows, and 64-bit performance
- Directly access and edit RED, XAVC, AVC, ARRI ALEXA, QuickTime, ProRes, AVCHD, XDCAM, and other file-based formats
- Mix and match formats, frame rates, and more in real time
- Eliminate the wait with background rendering and transcoding
- Never lose assets with the industry’s most reliable media management, which can automate complex tasks in the background
- Create 5.1/7.1 surround mixes directly in Media Composer or import from Pro Tools
- Get the look, effects, and quality you want with powerful built-in production tools
- Enjoy the benefits of being on the Avid MediaCentral Platform
- Keep your software up to date with the included Avid upgrade plan
- Get help whenever, wherever, and however you need it with 24x7 access to Customer Care
Avid sales are restricted to the United States only. We will not be able to complete your transaction if you are not in the US. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
For Media Composer use*:
Avid-qualified computer running Mac OS X 10.9, OS X 10.10, OS X 10.11, OS X 10.12, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
* Other system requirements are dependent on the software you use with Avid Artist | DNxIQ.
Avid Artist | DNxIQ can be used with the following software:
- Avid Media Composer
- Avid Media Composer | NewsCutter Option
- Avid Media Composer | Symphony Option
- Avid Pro Tools
- Adobe After Effects CC
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve
- Blackmagic Design Fusion
|Video formats||SD—PAL (625, 50i, 576p), NTSC (525, 29.97i, 480p)
HD—720p (50, 59.94, 60), 1080i (50, 59.94, 60), 1080PsF (23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30), 1080p (23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60)
High-res—2K (23.98PsF, 24PsF, 25PsF, 23.98p, 24p, 25p), 4K (23.98p, 24p, 25p (SDI only)), Ultra HD (23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 30p, 50p, 59.94p, 60p)
|Audio sample rate||24-bit, 48 kHz (television standard)|
|Supported color spaces||YUV 4:2:2, RGB 444, REC 601, REC 709, REC 2020, P3; 12-bit (SDI) or 10-bit (HDMI) color precision with 3D LUT support|
|SDI video input||Two 12 Gb/s and two 3 Gb/s connectors (SD/HD/2K/UHD/4K)— supports single, dual, and quad link inputs (4:2:2 / 4:4:4); 2D/3D switchable|
|SDI video loop||4 x reclocked SD/HD/2K/UHD/4K linked to corresponding inputs|
|SDI video output||Two 12 Gb/s and two 3 Gb/s connectors (SD/HD/2K/UHD/4K)— supports single, dual and quad link outputs (4:2:2 / 4:4:4); 2D/3D switchable|
|SDI video repeated output||2 x 12 Gb/s and 2 x 3 Gb/s SD/HD/2K/UHD/4K. Supports single, dual and quad link outputs (4:2:2/4:4:4); 2D/3D switchable|
|Analog input||One Component YUV via three BNC connectors (SD—YCbCr; HD—YCbCr/RGB); one composite NTSC/PAL via one BNC connector (SD)|
|Analog output||One Component YUV via three BNC connectors (SD—YCbCr; HD—YCbCr/RGB); one composite NTSC/PAL via one BNC connector (SD)|
|Digital I/O||Two optical I/O supporting 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s, 12Gb/s coming soon (modules not included)|
|HDMI I/O||HDMI 2.0 type A connectors|
|Analog input||Four channels of professional balanced analog audio input via XLR; two-channel RCA input; one front-panel mic input via XLR with 48V phantom power|
|Analog output||Four channels of professional balanced analog audio output via XLR; stereo headphone output with volume control|
|Digital I/O||Two channels of unbalanced AES/EBU I/O, with sample rate conversion, via BNC connectors; eight channels of HDMI I/O embedded in SD, HD, UHD, 2K, and 4K|
|SDI I/O||8 input and 8 output audio channels embedded in SD; 16 input and 16 output channels embedded in HD, UHD, 2K, and 4K|
|Computer||One Thunderbolt 3 (cable sold separately), one PCI Express (card/cable sold separately)|
|Device control||Two Sony-compatible RS-422 deck control ports|
|Down conversion||Built-in, high-quality hardware down conversion—Ultra HD to 1080 HD, or HD to SD on SDI B and SD on Component and NTSC/PAL; switch analog video to Component and choose HD or SD output; selectable between letterbox, anamorphic 16:9, and center cut 4:3 styles|
|Up conversion||Built-in, high-quality hardware up conversion—SD to 720 HD or 1080 HD on playback; selectable between 4:3 pillarbox, 14:9 pillarbox, and 16:9 zoom; HD outputs via HD-SDI, HDMI, and component analog|
|Cross conversion||Built-in, high-quality hardware cross conversion—720p to 1080i and 1080i to 720p on playback|
|Other hardware conversion||Colorspace conversion|
|Real-time keyer||Alpha channel over video or matte, or frame buffer over incoming video or matte|
|3D processing||Frame-compatible/frame packed|
|Codec support||Onboard DNxHR encoding for capture workflows (requires Media Composer 8.4.5 or higher, or a software application that has enabled this capability).*|
|Clock source (selectable/detectable)||Genlock/Reference Clock (BBG or Tri-level), Genlock/Reference Clock output/pass-through (BBG or Tri-level), SDI (SD and HD), AES/EBU, HDMI|
|Timecode I/O||One XLR Timecode input, one XLR Timecode output|
|Ancillary data support||SDI VITC reader, RP188, NTSC closed captioning, HD-SDI closed captioning, pass-through all (HD, 4K)|
|Power supply||Two built-in international AC power supplies with IEC C14 inlet (120–240V, 50–60 Hz)|
|Operating temperature||32°–104° F (5°–40° C)|
|Storage temperature||-4°–113° F (-20°–45° C)|
|Relative humidity||0–90% non-condensing|
|Dimensions (Width)||With rack ears: 19 inches (482 mm); without rack ears: 16.5 inches (420 mm)|
|Dimensions (H x D)||3.5 (2RU) x 9.5 inches (88.4 x 242 mm)|
|Weight||8.6 lbs (3.9 kg)|
- Avid Artist | DNxIQ video interface
- Media Composer subscription or perpetual license (depending on your choice)
- Two power cables (for redundant connections)
- Fusion Connect plug-in for Media Composer
Q. What are the differences between Avid Artist | DNxIQ and the similar-looking Blackmagic Ultrastudioproduct?
A. Avid has the exclusive ability to offer the following:
- Universal Mastering for the Media Composer | Symphony Option: Get powerful format and framerate conversion for output and digital cut without transcoding. Universal Mastering is enabled by the Symphony Option, which must be purchased separately.
- Real-time DNxHR hardware encoding: Avid | Artist DNxIQ has a built in hardware encoder that now enables users to encode UHD and 4K media to DNxHR LB (Low Bandwidth) in real time during base band capture. Avid DNxHR encoding gives you greater beauty without the bandwidth, with encoding that is optimized for the needs of post-production.
- Audio punch-in: With a front-panel microphone input jack, it’s quick and easy to record audio on-the-fly.
- Includes the Avid Connect Plug In for Blackmagic Design's Fusion: Work with the world’s most advanced visual effects and motion graphics animation software directly in your Media Composer timeline.
- Sold and Supported by Avid: Backed by Avid’s world class Customer Care organization.
- Agency Certified: Only DNxIQ is certified by industry standard safety certifications including UL, cUL, China RHOS, and more
- Two power cables for redundant connection
- Choice of Standalone or Bundled with Media Composer:
- Standalone Artist | DNxIQ. Ideal if you already own Media Composer or other applications, including Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Resolve and more.
- Artist | DNxIQ with Media Composer perpetual license. This tested, proven solution includes everything above, plus a full perpetual Media Composer license and activation card (software download required—software never expires), and a one-year Avid upgrade and support plan providing all Media Composer upgrades and expert help for 12 months (renewable annually).
- Artist | DNxIQ with Media Composer 2-year subscription. This tested, proven solution includes everything above, plus a 2-year Media Composer subscription (software download required—must renew subscription after 24 months to continue using the software), and an Avid upgrade and support plan providing all Media Composer upgrades and expert help throughout an active subscription
Q: Does Avid Artist | DNxIQ support surround sound audio output?
A: Surround 5.1 and 7.1 audio monitoring are supported through SDI and HDMI embedded audio signals. A real-time four channel down mix of 5.1 and 7.1 can be chosen for monitoring through the four analog audio outputs, in your choice of quadraphonic, LRCS, or LRCLfe configurations.
Q: How does Avid Artist | DNxIQ connect to a host computer?
A: DNxIQ connects to a host computer via a Thunderbolt 3 connection or a PCIe Gen3 connection to a HIB card in the host.
Q: Will DNxIQ ship with a specific host connection cable type?
A: No, the host connection cable needs to be ordered separately since there is a choice for how to connect (Thunderbolt 3 or PCIe Gen 3). For Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, Avid offers a 2 meter powered cable. For PCIe connectivity, Avid offers a PCIe Gen3 adapter bundled with a 2 meter PCIe connection cable.
Q: What options are available for purchasing PCIe connectivity?
A: Only Avid sold/supplied PCIe cables and Host Interface cards will be supported for PCIe connected DNxIQ configurations.
Q: Will the PCIe cable and adapter that worked with Mojo DX and Nitris DX and with the DNxIO work with the DNxIQ?
A: No, those products were PCIe Gen2; DNxIQ requires a PCIe Gen3 host cable and adapter.
Q. Does DNxIQ support audio punch in?
A: Yes, Audio Punch-in is supported on Artist | DNxIQ. Note that the DNxIQ needs to have a video signal connected to the unit even when capturing audio only.
Q. Does DNxIQ support Video Satellite?
A. DNxIQ will be qualified for Video Satellite in a future update.
Q. Does DNxIQ work with Pro Tools?
A. DNxIQ will be qualified for Pro Tools in a future update.
Q. Does DNxIQ support simultaneous capture of high res and proxy?
A. DNxIQ will support a single stream of ingest- there are no current plans to support simultaneous proxy generation.
Q: Can DNxIQ be used with older versions of Media Composer software?
A: DNxIQ is supported with Media Composer v8.8.3 and higher (available in early May 2017.) Previous versions of software have not been tested or qualified. There have been several changes in Media Composer 8.8.3 (and higher) to support new features not previously available in Open I/O. Media Composer v 8.8.3 (and higher) is available to Media Composer customers with an active upgrade & support plan
Q: Does DNxIQ support Closed Captioning and Ancillary data?
A: Yes, playback and capture of Ancillary Data including Closed Captioning and Ancillary Timecode (ATC) are supported.
Q: How do I access the Avid Edit Connect for Fusion plugin?
A: The Avid Edit Connect for Fusion plugin for Media Composer is installed when you install Blackmagic Design Desktop Video (required to connect Artist | DNxIQ). The Fusion Edit Connection for Media Composer plugin will work with both Fusion Free and the full Fusion Studio (requires purchase). The plugin is installed with the Desktop Video software but the Fusion Free and Fusion Studio need to be downloaded separately from https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support.
Q: Is there a feature comparison between Artist | DNxIQ and previous Avid I/O Hardware?
A: Yes, a comparison of Avid Video I/O Hardware features can be found Here
Purchase any Artist | DNxIQ and get the Symphony Option for Free!
- Promo available August 10th – September 30th 2017
- Orders must be placed by September 15th
- Must take delivery by September 30th
- Does not apply to DNxIQ with 2 year Subscription as this already includes Symphony Option
Shop with Confidence
Live “Videoguys” available to help. Call us at 800-323-2325 or use Live Chat below