The fast, simple, reliable path from camera to post
As media production becomes more complicated and turnaround times grow tighter, you need a tool that eases the workload on your editor and helps you meet project deadlines. With Catalyst Prepare, you can quickly access, organize, and prepare all of your project footage — even when you use a variety of popular cameras. Create a rough-cut storyboard along with quick initial color grade to jumpstart the editing and review process. Then render it out directly or export an EDL to other popular tools you use in your workflow.
- Verify shots immediately on set, including Sony RAW and S-Log clips
- Solve your camera media wrangling issues with a single application
- Deadline pressure? Quickly review and identify subclips for copying, eliminating the long transfer times needed for entire clips
- Work in the same simple, consistent, fresh user interface on both Mac OS X and Windows platforms
- Simple, powerful interface with a quick and easy learning curve
- Secure, integrated clip upload to Sony Media Cloud Services Ci enables cloud-based, collaborative review of work with your extended team
- Intuitive design provides the tools you need for each step, ending cognitive overload, clutter, and confusion
- Back up your camera media with confidence from integrated checksum verification
- Media libraries are saved automatically and continuously, preserving critical edits
- Precise managed color workflow ensures accuracy and consistency for Sony RAW and S-Log sources
Fresh, clean interface enables access to all of the important organization and preparation tasks from a single screen. Browse and view clips, make a secure backup, copy clips to a production PC or external hard drive, transcode to a variety of formats, create rough-cut storyboards, or upload to Sony Media Cloud Services Ci for collaborative review.
- Browse and view: Browse multiple devices and view media directly from your camera, deck, or card reader. View clips as thumbnails or as lists with associated metadata. Quickly zoom in to check focus, apply a look to check color, and view and add metadata. Mark in/out points during playback or scrub the timeline and log marker points to focus on the important part of the clip. Create subclips to capture important sections of a longer file.
- Off load: Back up multiple media cards with checksum verification.
- Dual app workflow: Use the Windows auto resize feature or the new split view in Mac to take advantage of drag and drop from Catalyst Prepare to Catalyst Edit.
Organize into libraries and binsCatalyst Prepare is a key organizational and creative tool that allows you to arrange media into targeted, meaningful libraries and bins. Then launch the creative process with solid rough drafts. Locate the correct media, create subclips, and develop rough drafts on a storyboard in a dedicated tool designed specifically for these tasks.
- Logging: Mark in and out points during playback or scrub the timeline and log marker points to focus on the important part of the clip. Create subclips to capture important sections of a longer clip.
View details, zoom to check focus, mark in/out points, adjust colors nondestructively, and create a storyboard to rough draft your vision. Edit mode enables you to zero in on the important parts of each clip. Create sub clips to easily access the best parts of each clip. Assemble, trim, and sequence a group of files into a Storyboard. Even apply color adjustments. Then render the Storyboard out in a variety of formats or export it as an EDL with media to send to Vegas Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro, AVID Media Composer, Adobe Premiere or Da Vinci Resolve. The edit mode also offers the ability to automatically detect and repair flash band problems created by flash photography.
- Touch enabled: Use gestures to start and stop playback, zoom and pan to check focus, select and move files, adjust color controls, and more.
- Pro SDI monitoring: For critical color work, output to an external reference monitor through a Blackmagic SDI or UltraStudio device.
- GPU accelerated: The entire Catalyst family takes advantage of the power of modern GPU devices from Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD to enhance playback and transcoding. The optimal GPU device is automatically selected.
- Native format support: Catalyst Prepare natively supports Sony professional formats such as XDCAM SD and HD, XDCAM EX, XAVC-Intra, XAVC Long-GOP, XAVC S, NXCAM, Sony RAW, HDCAM SR (SStP), AVCHD, AVC H.264/MPEG-4. DNxHD, HDV and DV and ProRes are also supported. All formats can be mixed and matched when building a storyboard. Multichannel files? No problem: Catalyst Prepare supports files with up to 16 channels of audio. Supported video formats and devices.
Precise first-pass color correction
Work in the same high dynamic range and wide color gamut as professional cameras shooting in the S-Log or Sony RAW format. Set source, convert-to, and grade-in color spaces. Apply a look profile. Use the brightness, contrast, tone curves, color wheels, and color correction sliders to adjust color while viewing the waveform, vectorscope, and histogram displays. Transcode files that carry the new color adjustments or save the settings as standard ASC-CDL to apply later in the finishing session. The color grading tools also support the ACES color management system. Set your preview display to a before, after, split, or 2-up view to compare before-and-after adjustments.
- Support for Tangent surface controls: Use the Tangent Wave or Element line of surface control devices with Catalyst Prepare. These devices provide dedicated hardware control of the built-in color correction tools. Fluidly adjust RGB, Lift, Gamma, and Gain in addition to playback and undo/redo functions.
Catalyst Prepare system requirements
- Microsoft® Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 (64-bit) or Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan)
- 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD; 8 cores recommended for 4K)
- 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
- Solid-state disk (SSD) or high-speed RAID for 4K media
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended; 16 GB recommended for 4K)
- NVIDIA, AMD/ATI, or Intel GPU with support for the following: OpenGL 2.1 OpenCL 1.1 or later with at least 512 MB of memory (2 GB recommended for 4K) or a CPU with SSE 4.2 or higher
Catalyst Prepare 2015.1:
- Simplified user interface: A streamlined workflow provides direct access to media for efficient clip management.
- Easier file management: Readily copy, backup, organize, rename, and transcode clips into NLE-friendly formats.
- Transcoding: Supports all the key formats from Sony (AVC, XAVC, XDCAM, SStP, and Sony RAW), Apple (ProRes for Mac), AVID (DNxHD), and more.
- Storyboard EDL exporting: Supports formats for Apple Final Cut Pro (*.fcpxml), Adobe Premiere (*.prproj), AVID Media Composer (*.aaf), and Vegas Pro (*.txt).
- Offload: Simultaneously back up multiple camera cards with verification.
- Efficient importing: Quickly preview clips and metadata before copying to save time and space. Set in/out points for multiple clips and only copy those sections of footage you want.
- Cloud collaboration: Upload directly to the Sony Media Cloud Services Ci for fast worldwide collaboration and stakeholder review.
- Flash band correction: Repair clips with flash bands from events with flash photography; no need to reshoot.
Do you have any questions?
Ask a Videoguys adviser about this product. More
Free Tech Support
Shop with confidence with us here to help. More
30-day money-back or exchange on all purchases. More