Epiphan Pearl simultaneously live streams and records four HD audio/video sources at 30 frames per second (or two HD sources at 60 fps). With dedicated inputs for SDI, HDMI and VGA, Pearl captures just about any video content you give it; either directly or with a simple adapter.
Features at a glance
Epiphan Pearl is a lightweight, portable, all-in-one live video production system with audio support over SDI and HDMI, or separately via professional stereo TRS audio.
Connect four HD video sources and simultaneously live stream each of them them to different end points. Choose to also create and stream custom multi-source layouts with branding and background matte of your choice. Record your custom videos and original sources for flexible post-production editing. Share the content over your network using multicast, or use a content distribution network (CDN) such as Akamai, LiveStream, StreamGuys, Wowza, or YouTube Live to share the results over the internet. Simplify integration with content management solutions (CMS) by populating metadata fields and configuring automatic upload of recordings to your network using SFTP, SCP, FTP, RSYNC or CIFS.
Pearl comes with a custom, reusable, hard-shell carry case with padding so it’s easy to pack Pearl and take it with you wherever you’re going.
- Live stream video from screens or cameras at HD resolutions and higher (VGA sources up to: 2560×1600, 2048×2048)
- Simultaneously capture, stream and record four HD video sources with HDMI audio, SDI audio and stereo TRS audio
- Portable and lightweight
- Touch-screen front panel display for confidence monitoring and recording control
- Supports 3G-SDI, HD-SDI, SD-SDI, HDMI/DVI, and VGA
- SAP and UPnP support for set-top boxes, digital signs and media players
- Flexible multi-source layout and branding to customize your output
- Provides RS-232 and HTTP APIs for easy integration into larger systems
- Simple CDN setup, supports RTMP and RTSP
- Stream at one bitrate and record at another
- Upload custom EDIDs for special capture situations
Switch video sources live!
Use Pearl’s touch screen and video mixer capability to preview and change the content in your video stream. Pick from any of the pre-defined layouts you created to keep your audience engaged and show them exactly what is relevant.
- Feel confident about what is being captured, recorded and streamed
- Included stereo audio VU meter shows audio levels
- Apply configuration presets from the touch screen
- Configure network settings via the touch screen
- Watch a single channel or multiple channels at once in the grid view
- View system information, including network address and available drive space
- Start and stop recording directly from the display
- Display can be disabled and configured
- Configuration presets let you save any quantity and combination of configuration groups into a reusable preset
- Create a configuration preset for each situation in which you use your Pearl
- Save time and ensure accuracy when configuring Pearl in each new location
- A special factory default configuration preset helps you return to original factory configuration without permanently erasing files saved to the system hard drive
Multi-source layouts with branding
- Choose to display the video from one or both video sources; display the video side-by-side or picture-in-picture.
- Pearl automatically scales inputs to match your configured layout settings.
- Add your corporate color as a background and your company logo
- Provide track meta data such as the date, time, and presenter name.
- Overlay video with timestamp information and other text.
- Create a custom image to display when the channel does not have a signal or if your input signal is interrupted for any reason.
- Video output ports
- (2) Mini DisplayPort with audio for local video display or larger confidence monitoring
- Pearl has an RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port
- Two USB 2.0 ports
- Use the screen located on the front of Pearl to view the stream for confidence monitoring or connect Pearl to the local network to view the stream using a web browser.
Video and Audio Inputs
- Pearl captures four video sources from either 3G–SDI, HD-SDI, SD-SDI, HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs at their native resolutions and frame rates.
- Audio input is supported over SDI and HDMI or through two TRS audio input ports.
- Two HDMI ports capture HDMI and DVI signals, two VGA ports capture VGA signals and two SDI ports capture 3G-SDI, HD-SDI, and SD-SDI signals.
- Pearl supports a wide range of streaming formats and protocols enabling it to stream video to media players across a variety of platforms and web browsers using industry standard streaming formats including HTTP, FLV, ASF, MJPEG and HLS.
- Supports multicast streaming via UDP using RTP, MPEG-TS RTP, MPEG-TS and publishes to streaming servers (CDNs) via RTMP and RTSP.
- Multi-encoding allows you to adjust the bitrate, frame rate and resolution of each stream to match the requirements of the video content and the platform on which the audience will view the stream.
Stream using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and Session Announce Protocol (SAP)
- Media players, smart TVs, set-top boxes, digital signs etc. can play live streams and saved recordings from the Pearl via UPnP or SAP.
- Streaming via UPnP and/or SAP is perfect for situations when the destination device is unattended. For example, when Pearl streams to a digital sign that continuously plays a video, if there is an interruption, the live stream resume feature automatically resumes the stream.
- Pearl’s powerful processor lets you stream to many set top boxes/smart TV’s simultaneously without sacrificing video quality.
Video encoding with H.264, MPEG-4 and MJPEG
- Pearl supports the most widely used video codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing software media players such as VLC and Adobe Media Player.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune the operation to your application.
- Video frame rate, encoding bit rate, and key frame interval are among several parameters available to tailor the encoding to your specific requirements.
- Whether you are recording highly dynamic full motion video or slowly changing instrumentation displays, Epiphan Pearl enables you to direct the encoder to achieve optimal video quality while satisfying bitrate and file size constraints of your specific application and environment.
Supports audio codecs MP3, AAC and PCM
- Pearl supports the most widely used audio codecs to ensure maximum compatibility with commercial viewing software.
- Use the default settings, or fine tune to meet your requirements.
- Encode in stereo or mono with bitrates up to 320 kbps.
- Record while streaming
- Pearl is capable of recording the streaming output as well as automatically uploading the recordings to your CMS.
- Records the stream in the same layout as it is streamed (for example a multi-source layout) as well as records each source separately for post-production flexibility.
- Stores the video files to a hard drive, with 1 TB of storage (equivalent to almost 300 hours of recordings at HD resolutions), in AVI, MP4, MPEG-TS or MOV format (common and easy to use formats).
- Admin interface indicates the amount of free storage space.
- Manage the size of your recorded video files by configuring Pearl to start a new file based on a time or file-size limit. When the limit is reached, the current recorded file is closed and available for download while a new file is opened for continued recording – all without missing a frame.
Easy access to external file storage
Pearl offers a variety of options for storing your recorded files:
- Access files quickly at Gigabit Ethernet speeds.
- Store the files on the device itself, this is useful when you don’t have access to a network or an external device. You can always download the files later.
- You can transfer the recorded files to an external USB storage device or local network storage via SFTP, SCP, FTP, RSYNC, or CIFS to ensure you don’t run out of disk space on your device and facilitate 24/7 recording.
- Configure automatic file transfer when a USB device is inserted.
- Integrate easily with commercial content management systems.
Supported aspect ratios and resolutions
- The input signal resolution and aspect ratio are automatically reflected in the output stream.
- Capture computer displays and live camera signals.
- Convenient pick lists of standard resolutions in 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratios make configuration and switching between various video input sources quick and easy. Custom resolutions are also supported.
- Supports SDI resolution up to 1920×1080, VGA inputs at resolutions up to 2048×2048.
- Supports HDMI and DVI input at resolutions up to 1920×1200.
Automatically configures frame rate, bitrate, and aspect ratio
- Pearl analyzes your source stream and automatically uses the best possible frame size, bitrate, and aspect ratio for the output stream.
- Two auto channels make setup plug and play for simple configurations.
- Changes to the input signal resolution and aspect ratio are automatically reflected in the output stream.
- Automatic configuration is an option that can be enabled or disabled depending on your requirements.
- A web-based control interface enables local and remote configuration and operation.
- Integration with other systems is available via our HTTP and RS-232 APIs.
- Monitor your Pearl on the go with a mobile device or tablet using a custom interface designed for touch screen devices.
- Perform basic operations like checking video signals, audio levels, starting and stopping recordings, and disk space from the mobile interface.
- EpiphanConnect, a mobile application for device discovery makes connecting to the mobile interface a snap.
- EpiphanConnect is available on Android (beta) and iOS.
Epiphan Pearl Technical Specifications
|Video Inputs||Connectors||(2) SDI (2) HDMI / DVI1 (2) VGA / Component2|
|Resolutions||VESA modes: 640×480 to 2048×2048 (or 2650×1600); Custom HDMI/VGA modes.HDMI/DVI/SDI up to 1920×1200|
|HD Video Format Options||3G-SDI; HD-SDI; SD-SDI; DVI single link; HDMI; R, G, B plus separate HSync and VSync signals; R, G, B plus CSYNC signal; R, G, B with Sync-on-Green synchronization|
|Audio Input||Connectors||(2) ¼” left/right TRS audio (balanced or unbalanced) SDI audio HDMI audio|
|Video Output||Screen||Video confidence monitoring through on-board touch screen|
|Audio Output||Connectors||3.5 mm audio jack for audio confidence monitoring with speakers or headphones|
|Video Switching||Layout switching during live streaming and recording using the touch screen or the web UI|
|Built-in Display||Front touch screen display for live switching, confidence monitoring, quick configuration, system information and recording control|
|Video Encoding||Video Codecs||H.264, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG|
|Video Bit Rates||100 – 9,999 kbit/sec|
|Key Frame Intervals||Programmable|
|Output Frame Size||Configurable up to 3840×2160|
|Frame Rates (per output stream)||Capacity for four simultaneous 1080p output streams at 30 fps, or three simultaneous output streams where two are at 60 fps @ 1080p and one 30 fps @ 1080p. 4k frame size at a lower frame rate.|
|Audio Encoding||Audio Codecs
(stereo or mono)
|MP3||32-192kbps||22 kHz, 44 kHz, 48 kHz|
|PCM||-||22 kHz, 44 kHz, 48 kHz|
|AAC||32-192kbps||16 kHz, 22 kHz, 44 kHz, 48 kHz|
|Network Interfaces||Connector||(1) 10/100/1000 Ethernet RJ45|
|Streams||FLV, ASF, MJPEG, MPEG-TS,|
|RTSP over TCP/UDP|
|Publish to Streaming Server / CDN (RTMP, RTSP)|
|HLS – Native Apple HTTP stream for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch|
|Multicast Streams||RTP, MPEG-TS & RTP and MPEG-TS over UDP|
|Network Discovery / Announce||UPnP, SAP|
|Video/Audio Recording and File Management||Internal Storage||1 TB3|
|Automatically removes oldest recordings from internal storage as space is required.|
|File maintenance through admin interface (Web UI)|
|Local Storage||Automatic or manual copy to local USB drives via the (2) USB 2.0 ports|
|Network Storage||FTP server and FTP client capabilities (automatic and manual)|
|Playback and Recorded Formats||Download recorded videos (AVI, MP4, MOV or MPEG-TS) using the Web UI and playback through any compatible player.|
|Administration||Web UI for full administration. On-screen display and mobile UI for confidence monitoring and simple administration.|
|API Integration||Included API for integration into existing environments (executed via HTTP or RS-232). RS-232 API integration requires a USB to RS-232 adapter (not included).|
|Time Synchronization||NTP, TIME (RFC 868), PTP v1 (IEEE-1588-2002 V1)|
|Product Dimensions||10⅝” x 3¼” x 7⅜” (270mm x 82mm x 187mm)|
|Product Weight||3.4 lbs (1.54kg)|
|Country of Origin||Made in North America (Canada)|
Do you have any questions?
Ask a Videoguys adviser about this product. More
Free Tech Support
Shop with confidence with us here to help. More
30-day money-back or exchange on all purchases. More